How To Wear The Crop Top: Dos and Don’tsPosted by Styloko
Sometimes, fashion is more a foe than a friend. Yep, you know what we’re talking about – those trends that just don’t do anyone any good. This year, it’s the reincarnation of the crop top that fills most of us with fear. Unless your stomach is as flat as Dree Hemmingway’s or as toned as Rihanna’s (who, we all know, works out at 10pm if she has to), sporting a cropped tee is about as terrifying as sticking your hands into a lion’s cage.
Or, at least, that’s what we thought until we saw this season’s take on the nineties trend. Believe it or not, there are ways to make the mini top work - and, even, look chic. The rules are simple:
- DO keep it modest. Pair a crop top with high waists (trousers, tailored shorts or a full midi skirt all work) to achieve a subtle peek of skin, rather than a full-on belly flash. The high waist will nip you in at your narrowest point to create a clever slimming illusion, too.
- DO match prints. Take a cue from Dolce & Gabbana by pairing a bra top with a full A-line skirt, or Jason Wu by wearing a cropped top with high waisted hotpants for retro Hollywood glamour.
- DO go for small florals or prints if you’re big busted, and try colour blocking if you’re petite.
- DO try long sleeved cropped knits with high-rise skinnies for the perfect transitional daytime look.
- DON’T go for the cropped top and Gypsy skirt combo – the hippy look is so over.
- DON’T be tempted to try it with especially low-rise jeans or drop-waisted skirts, no matter how trim your tum is. We’re not Britney Spears
Got it? Take your pick from our Cropped Tops Scrapbook for our edit of the best belly-flashers the stores have to offer, and be brave – we promise it’ll pay off.
1. The Kooples, Milano Crop Top, £60, The Kooples 2. Zara, Short Embroidered Top, £79.99, Zara 3. Topshop, Tie-front Cropped Shirt, £25, Topshop 4. Miss Selfridge, Hawaiian Print Bra Top, £12, Miss Selfridge 5. Jonathan Saunders, Benedict Cropped Printed Silk-gazar Top, £540, Net-a-Porter 6. H&M, Woven CropTop, £19.99, H&M.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.